Saturday, September 02, 2006

Cochabamba, Bolivia

Where do I begin? On our last night in Santigao, we went to a place called Los Buenos Muchachos, a fantastic restaurant, complete with live dancing and music. In fact, they bring some people up on stage and have them dance for everyone, which I was fortunate enough to do, shaking my hips for everyone in Chile to see. It was a late night and since we had to get up early the next morning for our flight to Bolivia, a bunch of us didn´t sleep a wink. Which might be the reason that my cold has gotten worse, but it was worth it, we all had way too much fun.

We then took a short flight to La Paz, which by the way is the world´s highest commerical airport. At around 14,000 ft. the four of use could barely breathe. We had a long layover there are were fortunate enough to be able to rest at the Maryknoll house there, where we all promptly crashed, ate some lunch and crashed again. Then onto our flight to Cochabamba, which is still high in altitude, but at least here we can all breathe. Our host families picked us up and life as a Bolivian actually began. We are here in Bolivia to go to language school, because unlike in Chile, Bolivians speak clearly and most importantly slowly. School actually starts on Monday and I´m looking forward to having something to do, even though my Bolivian family is very chill.

Well, that´s all for now, but I can say that Bolivia is a beautiful country, despite it being the poorest country in South America, complete with water and natural gas wars. People here are friendly and they like to sit and chat for hours. Don´t worry, I´m safe and I won´t get kidnapped on a bus.

:-) natalie

2 comments:

IvoryTiger said...

Hi! I like your post...I hope you did mind if I ask you a few questions. I am planning to go to Cochabamba to volunteer, so I have a few questions before I go (about pricing):
-how much is one night in a hotel?
-what are the prices of clothing, shoes, gadgets (ipods, any cheaper than in N. America?) I'd really appreciate if you could get back to me, thanks!

IvoryTiger said...

also...do you know the prices of restaurants?? I checked on websites but they are all contradicting each other..