Tuesday, August 15, 2006

And so it beings... (again)

Dear family, friends and other associates: I have waited long enough to write this lovely internet version of a journal, aka a blog, but now is the time to begin this. Well, I had one version going, but Michelle deleted it while trying to show my something, so here it goes again. I admit I have procrastinated on this last link to all of my friends and whatnot because if I did not start a blog, then I would not actually be leaving the country. Well, the flight was just booked today, so I figure I should begin to write my cyber journal.

So, let me begin by giving a brief synopsis of training here at Notre Dame: God country... So far we have sat around listening to speakers, chatting with priests, playing crazy animal games, going to the local bars (that's a whole other story in itself), the Potawanami Zoo, Chicago, Wanda the Honda, South Bend Silverhawks, and most importantly Moreau Seminary. Granted, this list does not do justice to exactly what we've been doing, but it's enough for now. Let's just say that some of it has been informative, while some of it has not been, but hey when you're leaving for two years I guess two weeks of training is fair.

So let me dish a little on what I've learned thus far: 1.) Housemates: Katie, Patrick and Michelle are all awesome people. We all bring a different 'flava' to the house and without each other the Chilean house would be bland. Basically, go Chileans! In fact, we just got back from a dinner/dessert excursion and it's so awesome to hear where everyone is coming from and what we all expect from each other. I already know that I'm going to learn so much from each one of these people. 2.) Culture shock: we're all going to get it, go figure. 3.) Weather: hot and humid do not go together, basically for the first week everyone was pretty sweaty (and mosquitoes love that!). 4.) Reflection: I truly am blessed to be here and for such supportive family and friends. I would not be here without you all and I thank you for everything! Okay, enough being mushy, but it had to be said.

On more important matters we have finally scheduled our airfare and travel details. I leave the country on August 22nd, fly into Cincinnati then onto Miami. From there we go to Bogota and then to Santiago for a week before we travel to Cochabamba, Bolivia for language school. Then it's back to Chile in December to begin our service.
Well kiddos, it's getting late here in God country, so for now until we meet again in cyberland, goodnight!

:-) Natalie

No comments: