Saturday, August 19, 2006

Prior to departure

Well, orientation is officially over. Now, we're just playing the waiting game until we take off on Tuesday. It's funny because for awhile there time seemed as if it was standing still and now I have no idea where the past three weeks have gone. They've gone to learning about cultural sensitivity, trips to Meijer and Walmart, Silverhawks games, a few bars here and there, more lectures about globilization and countless meals with priests and seminarians. It has been a wonderful experience despite the fact that I was at times bored to tears. I have made such wonderful friends here with not only with my housemates and the domestic associates, but with our director and assistant director as well. While we're down in Chile I hope to keep in touch with all of these wonderful people (so, for those of you reading this, keep in touch!). :-)

People have asked me why I am choosing to give up the next two years of my life to become a volunteer in some country far away and I have this to say: Why not? I also don't look at it thinking that I am giving up something, but gaining a lifetime of experience. This is the period in my life where I have nothing but time to spare. My passion in life is helping, serving, working so that other people's lives may be enriched. That is by no means the whole answer, but it gives a little insight into why I am a Holy Cross Associate.

Well, I have one more weekend in the US and I plan on spending it with an old friend, Stephen. He's on his way to Notre Dame from Detroit and we're headed to Chicago. This should be a good time! Perhsps we can go and see a show or a game.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The past few weeks have gone SO fast, I totally agree Natalie. I miss you tons and I hope we can speak on the phone before you leave the country tomorrow! Be safe. I brag about "my friend Natalie moving to Chile for two years" often ;0). Love you!